Indonesia prays on anniversary of 2004 Boxing Day tsunami

000_1BT9LW.jpg

ACEH BESAR, INDONESIA (Dec 26): Thousands prayed at mass graves Wednesday to mark the 14th anniversary of the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami, one of the worst natural disasters in history, even as aid workers raced to help victims of the latest killer wave to hit Indonesia.

The annual memorial came after the long-buried remains of dozens of Boxing Day tsunami victims were found last week in Aceh province, which was devastated by the 9.1-magnitude “megathrust” earthquake.

Nearly 170,000 people died in disaster-prone Indonesia when the quake struck Aceh, a predominantly Muslim province in the northern tip of Sumatra island, sparking massive waves that also slammed into coastal areas as far away as Somalia.

The disaster killed about 50,000 people in other countries around the Indian Ocean, bringing total deaths to about 220,000.

The commemorations are this year particularly poignant after a volcano-triggered tsunami struck another part of the country without warning on Saturday, sweeping over popular beaches and inundating tourist hotels and coastal communities, killing over 400.

Thousands paid tribute to the 2004 tsunami victims at a mass grave in Aceh Besar regency where nearly 47,000 are buried under a grassy field dotted with black rocks meant to symbolise a tomb.

“None of my family members have been found, but I believe they’re buried here,” said mourner Dewina, who carried flowers and incense sticks to burn.

Kharuddin, who goes by one name like many Indonesians, said he also thinks his lost relatives are buried at the vast site.

“I lost my mother and three siblings. I survived after floating out to sea and was rescued by a fishing boat,” he told AFP.

“Fourteen years have gone by and life goes on. All we can do is pray.”

Last week, the remains of more than 30 victims of the 2004 tsunami were found by villagers near a construction site of a newly built housing complex in Aceh. Another dozen bodies were later discovered at the same site.

The first victim identified was Taufik Alamsyah’s wife, who still had her driver’s licence in a wallet stuffed into her pants pocket.

“I could not believe that I found my wife after all these years of searching and praying,” he told AFP in a recent interview.

“I’ve been waiting and wanting to see (her body) with my own eyes.”

The 50-year-old civil servant has now buried wife Yunida’s remains in the backyard of his new house, where he lives with his current wife.

Alamsyah also lost his five-year-old daughter and in-laws in the 2004 disaster, and has suffered from depression ever since. 

BACA JUGA:  People in East Coast still hopeful for ECRL

The distraught father, who comes back to his old house every year to pray, grabbed his daughter in the chaos, but the force of the water swept her away.

He had taught his daughter to memorise the family’s address so she could return home if she ever got lost.

“If she was alive, she’d probably be in college now,” he said.

Kongsikan Sekiranya Bermanfaat...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *