No tourist arrivals from Wuhan since Jan 23 – Health Minister

SEPANG (Jan 27): Malaysia did not record any tourist arrivals from Wuhan, China since Jan 23, said Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad.

He said on the same day, the Chinese authorities imposed a lock down on Wuhan to prevent residents from leaving the city in the wake of the outbreak of the 2019 novel coronavirus there.

“As for tourist arrivals from China to Malaysia before Jan 23, the Health Ministry will work with the Immigration Department to get the information,” he told a press conference after making a working visit to the KL international Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2) here today.

Dzulkefly also confirmed that the number of positive Wuhan coronavirus cases in Malaysia stood at four while pending cases, those awaiting results of laboratory tests, numbered five, all involving Chinese nationals.

Of the five, two are in Langkawi, two in Kuala Lumpur and the latest, in Bintulu, Sarawak, he said.

He added that the coronavirus cases detected in Malaysia were based on two categories, with the first involving those who had contact with patients who tested positive (contact tracing).

The first three positives cases in Malaysia were detected through contact tracing. They are the wife and two grandsons of a 66-year-old Chinese national from Wuhan who is receiving treatment in Singapore.

They had entered Malaysia via Johor.

“The second category are those showing symptoms and are suspected to be infected by the coronavirus.

“Cumulative cases for this (second) category so far are 38 with one of them positive, 32 negative and five awaiting lab results,” said Dzulkefly.

As for statistics, he said that as of 3pm on Sunday (Jan 26), 164,692 travellers arrived at the country’s entry points and were screened.

Of the total, he said nine were referred for further screening.

“However, none of them met the criteria for Patient Under Investigation for coronavirus, as prescribed in the protocols for containing the virus,” he said

Dzulkefly said all incoming travellers were supplied a health warning card whereby if they displayed any symptoms, they are to seek treatment at the nearest health facility.

Dubbed the Wuhan virus, the media reported that as of Sunday, the outbreak has claimed 80 lives and that more than 2,700 cases have been confirmed in mainland China.

The coronavirus is spreading throughout Asia and the rest of the world.

Kongsikan Sekiranya Bermanfaat...
BACA JUGA:  Eco World International, Be Living to jointly develop 12 UK sites worth RM14b

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *