KUALA LUMPUR (Dec 17): The government will appoint an independent consultant by next month to study toll concessions in the country, The Sun reported today
The consultant will also “help look for ways to reduce” the toll burden on citizens.
“The proposal to reduce the toll rates will be included in this study. We won’t dismiss it. But it needs some time. Which is why we are appointing an independent consultant.
“Inshaallah (God willing), what is being desired by the rakyat (to reduce toll rates) is also what the government desires,” Works Minister Baru Bian was reported to have told the Dewan Negara here today.
The minister was responding to a question by Senator Mohamad Imran Abd Hamid about “when the government expects to fulfil its election promise” of getting rid of toll on the country’s major highways.
Last week, Baru said at the Dewan Rakyat: “On Oct 31, the Cabinet, after considering the direction of toll collection in the country, has agreed to appoint an independent auditor.
“The analysis results are expected to be submitted to the Cabinet for consideration and consent in May next year.”
Baru said the Pakatan Harapan government had always been looking for the best solution to reduce highway toll rates and eventually to abolish toll collections on all highways including the North-South Expressway and Penang Bridge, but it would only be implemented once the country’s finances stabilised.