State Tourism, Arts and Culture Committee chairman, Tan Kar Hing said the state government, however, would suggest to the federal government that the two jetties, Pulau Pangkor Jetty and Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty, operate simultaneously to facilitate the movement of people, especially the islanders.
The Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty, for residents in the area to exit and enter the island, had been closed since early this year, forcing them to use the Pulau Pangkor Jetty together with others including tourists and visitors, causing congestion and long queues at the jetty.
“We know it’s not easy to change to a way of life which has not been in practice all this while. But we will try to overcome the problem, besides raising the matter with the federal government,” Tan said at a news conference on this year’s state-level Chinese New Year celebration, here, today.
This was in response to a memorandum from the island’s local residents sent to Datuk Zainol Fadzi Paharudin, adviser to the Perak Menteri Besar, asking the state government to retain the Sungai Pinang Kecil Jetty as a ferry terminal instead of closing it.
According to Tan, problems would arise if both jetties were to operate due to staff constraint in monitoring work on the part of the Royal Customs Department Malaysia.
Meanwhile, he said the state government was upgrading the Pulau Pangkor Jetty based on a private partnership, for the comfort of the islanders, visitors and tourists holidaying at the resort island.
“We expect there will be hiccups in one to two months (due to the upgrading works),” he added.
On the state-level Chinese New Year, Tan said it would be held at Eco Park 1, Bandar Seri Botani, here, on Feb 6 from 6pm to 11pm.
He said the Sultan of Perak, Sultan Nazrin Shah and Raja Permaisuri Perak, Tuanku Zara Salim were expected to grace the celebration which would also feature cultural performances.